Sunday 1 November 2015

QUIZ ANSWER # 115



Last Sunday I posted these two images of same house. The one on your left would be probably late 1920s, the other is a card postmarked 1933.
The question: Where in Rhyl is this house?
The answer: Seabank Road.
Could be No.7 which has had the original porch removed, or No.15. Twist my arm and I’ll say No.15.
The building in question was Chellaston House, the home of a butcher named Moorcroft from Derby. [Chellaston is name of a place in Derby.]

--
And I posted a detail from a photograph taken a couple of months ago by Yours Truly. The question: Where in Rhyl is this corner post?
The answer: Dyserth Road.
Also acceptable were the answers Tynewydd Farm Estate and Lon Ystrad. Here is a wider view of the corner post than the detail originally posted:

--
Also posted was the following picture dated 1977 showing a bus in West Parade. In the background, on corner of Water Street, you can see a record shop. The question: What is the name of the record shop?

Electrip Records

The answer: Electrip Records.
I am obliged to Peter Trehearn for remembering the name and thereby making this question possible. Electrip Records was in some ways a forerunner of Kavern Records which opened later in High Street.

With any two correct answers to score 1 win or all three correct answers to score 2 wins are: Richard & Ceri Swinney 2, Jane Shuttle 2, The Great Gareth 1, Sue Handley 2.

--
Where in Rhyl did you buy your records? Let's be having your groovy reminiscences.

--
THU 22nd MAR 2018 UPDATE: Regarding Kavern Records, ex-Rhylite Kevin Nolan says that in the late 1970s the shop was at 33 Sussex Street before moving to 25 High Street. The company sold videos as well as records, and they had a branch in Llandudno. Thanks, Kev.

--
WED 7th NOV 2018 UPDATE: Regarding Electrip Records, the following message has been received 
"My name is Angelo, from Italy. When I was a young student I spent about a year (not continuous) in early 1970s in North Wales, working in Llandudno’s hotels just to practice some English.
"Being a music fan, especially in that magic era, I become customer and friend at Electrip Records in Rhyl. I spent a lot of time in that shop and a lot of money too!! 
"Our relationship was so built on friendly trust that, after my leaving, they kept sending me their stuff over to Italy without any charge, just waiting for my assent among their choices.
"We shared meals, beer, fun and music of course. (We went together to Liverpool for The Barclay James Harvest Live album recording session). I still have those vinyl albums, saved in Electrip plastic sleeves!
"Time passed by, life changed, still I remember them. 
"I remember Mike the owner (at least I always thought he was) a huge guy with a red beard and long hair. A pale brown-haired sweet girl (Mike’s sister?) and a younger thin boy with long black hair.
"I wonder if you could tell me their names (Mike? Mickey? Sheila?
David?) or add any information about their lives, or get an address to let me send my regards to them after such a long time.
"Any pictures of them or even of the shop would be really appreciated too.
"Sorry for my English not so good anymore.
"Thanks so much for reading."

--
Angelo, you write better English than some of my neighbours. I can't help you with more information but maybe other Rhyl Life readers can. I'll let you know if anybody gets in touch. Best wishes from Sunny Rhyl to Italia Soleggiata.

Colin Jones / email: rhyl.colin.jones@live.co.uk

--