Wednesday 16 December 2009

QUIZ ANSWER # 31

Clarence HouseLast Wednesday I posted the photograph above (TOP) and the questions were: Where was I standing when I took it, and what’s the scaffolding for?

The answers are: I was standing in the alley at the foot of Princes Street, and the scaffolding is for the construction of a new Clarence House health centre which is going to stick out like a sore thumb on a corner of West Kinmel Street and Elwy Street.

First with correct answers was Gareth Morris who won Quiz 14, 17 and 22 as well. He must be following me around. Gareth says, “You will recall that this land was formerly occupied by railway engine sheds and turntables until 1960s, and there was a platform bay for ‘Welsh Dragon’ steam train service. The area occupied by the new health centre was used in mid ‘90s for outdoor market and car boot sales.”

Thank you, Gareth. My pal Jill thinks it was called ‘The Belmarket’. Can anyone confirm this and perhaps explain the name? Please send email to: rhyl.colin.jones@live.co.uk

--